Ever wonder how to get people to stuff? Yeah, me too. But it's not easy, and there's a lot to keep in mind if you want or need to influence someone's behavior.
Good news, though.
Susan Weinschenk has the answer! She says there are 7 ways to get people to do stuff:
- The Power of Stories (and self stories)
- Rewards (carrots and sticks)
- Habits (unconscious behaviors we engage in)
- Tricks of the Mind (weird things our brains do)
- The Need to Belong (we're social animals)
- Instincts (how we react to food, sex, and danger)
- The Desire for Mastery (the need to be great)
Susan talks about how she's been able to apply these principles to her own business, and even increase sales and cost per sale by making her courses longer and more difficult. Yes, you read that correctly.
Biggest mistake people make in learning about their customers: "they assume that people are rational. That's not the way people are at all."
What you can do today to learn more about your buyers: "learn about humans. And learn about the particular humans you sell to."
Susan's book recommendation: Thinking Fast, and Slow by Dan Kahneman
Web Resources for Susan Weinschenk:
Resources mentioned in this episode: